Sunday, April 6, 2014


My life of crime

I sit on the bunk with him. We casually discussed life, this life and the next. The door to his cell was locked. The order was no escape even if he took me hostage. They had analyzed the residue on the odor from the barrel in which he burnt his wife’s body. He would be on trial for his life shortly.
Less than two weeks later his girlfriend would attempt to break him out. In the process, she wounded one deputy. She kept firing spraying bullets over the dispatch area of the jail. In the subsequent trials she would receive 16 years he would get life.igo
That was almost 30 years ago, since then I have ministered to what society considers the most dangerous criminals.  Serial killers, mass murderers, rapists, robbers, drug dealers and others. I have spoken to cop killers and cops who have murdered. Where others see those who are helpless and hopeless, I see a potential child of God. One who can become a new person in Christ.
Using my experience in writing is relaxing and enjoyable. While we can’t control the criminal in the real world we can in the world of fiction. A reader became quite upset with Steven King because in one of his books a man kicked a dog to death. King pointed out the book was fiction. Therefore the dog wasn’t real. Yet to a writer while in the throes of the story the characters, the setting and the action is real.
In Sluagh my wife cringed each time a child died. I pointed out to her the child wasn’t real. Therefore no child was harmed in the writing of the book.
While sitting down with a good mystery may raise the Goosebumps on your arms you’re still safe in your favorite chair.   

Like a good christian mystery? Check out my books at writersofvision.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home